- It’s time to open up health care’s secret use of consumer data (STAT) The insurance companies are using this data to slice and dice their markets to maximize profits. This is a bad thing.
- Elon Musk is learning a hard lesson: never date a musician (The Guardian) Grimes goes Taylor Swift on her ex.
- The inner lives of cats: what our feline friends really think about hugs, happiness and humans (The Guardian) I disagree with the basic thesis of this essay. I think that it is cats simplicity that is appealing. Unlike a dog, who is constantly evaluating their relationship with you to determine their position in the pack, cats hang out with you just because they like you, and don’t because they don’t.
- Torrance police’s racist texts could jeopardize many cases (Los Angeles Times) It should jeopardize cases, and every police force in the nation should be put under a microscope over this.
- Defense bill creates new office to study UFOs (TheHill) Your Congress at work.
- Saudi camel beauty pageant cracks down on cosmetic enhancements (BBC) Your moment of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
- Friendly, foul-mouthed crow befriends entire Oregon elementary school before state police are called in (Oregon Live) Your feel good story of the day.
- Jeff Bezos’ Space Joyride Emitted a Lifetime’s Worth of Carbon Pollution (Gizmodo) Not a surprise. Bezos is a Bond villain.
- Speaking does not imply breathing, and this is a dangerous myth (ZME Science) Something that should be taught to abusive cops, but why would refuse to use this fact to moderate their behavior.
In memory of Michael Nesmith: